Thursday, December 9, 2010

Newspaper Advertisements

 Newspaper Advertisements are usually quite plain and basic. Most often black and white, with a bit of text and sometimes an image. Some of these examples are advertising things about weight, whereas some are advertising TV programmes. I am going to buy The Sun newspaper and take a look at any of the advertisements in there and also use the TV magazine I get free with it to look at example of magazine page spreads.

The advertisements that advertise products tend to be more basic than TV programme advertisements. However the last example I have is very basic as it only has a picture, the time of the programme, the title, the channel and a logo.
As with any sort of article or advertisement, the title has to be big, bold and often a catchy headline. This is because it tends to be one of the first things that someone sees when looking at an advertisement. Therefore if reader isn't attracted by the title they won't want to read the rest.

One of these examples could be described more of an article but it gives me a taster of how newspapers present things. After research from the internet I have decided that I want my advertisement to have the title, possibly a picture, a brief summary and the time and channel. This is because I want my advertisement to be quite basic so that people take information in when glancing at it, rather than studying it and reading it thoroughly.

I will definitely put my advertisement in a tabloid newspaper because if you get any teenager reading a newspaper it would The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Mirror. I know that The Sun comes with a free listings
magazine and would therefore put my advertisement in the same newsaper that has the same listing magazine with my double page magazine spread.

I think that the best example is the bottom one, and I plan to do mine like the structure of this, however I am debating whether to have the background as an image or just plain white.

I feel that maybe an image could put people of
because not everyone would want to see an image of someone anorexic when flicking through a magazine, and may get the impression that my whole documentary will be as graphic as that. Whereas it will not be, it will have some images in it, but it won't be jam packed full of them.
The headline of my documentary will probably be the same as the title of my documentary, this is to prevent confusion and extra text that perhaps isn't needed on my advertisment. I will obviously have the time and channel of the documentary and perhaps mention to reading the article in the attached listings magazine for more information about it. This will then give my audience the choice of reading more about it.

1 comment:

  1. well done - the only extra needed is as follows
    1. audience - how would you decide between niche and mainstream and what effect would this have on publication choice

    2. cost - as a doc maker you would have a limited budget - with that in mind what would be the most cost effective way to get your message/ad to the TA

    ReplyDelete